Saturday 31 March 2012

Celebration Wines

Gray Monk Pinot Gris
Okanagan Valley
British Columbia, Canada
Lately, I've been pondering the idea of "celebratory wine".  Or, some sort of wine that evokes feelings of remembrance, most often of a wonderful occasion or time in life.  Because our sense of smell is our greatest form of remembrance, it's only reasonable that a bottle of wine would do this.  After all, one of the most important aspects in the tasting exercise is the aroma itself.  Getting all those smells in your memory before the wine is tasted.

I have a few such wines.  One I even posted about. Now granted, it wasn't meant to be initially, but I will always remember the 1884 Reservado Malbec because it was poured and enjoyed on the night of my niece's birth.

This particular wine reminds me of friendship.  This couple is one of the most dynamic, loving people you could ever have the pleasure to meet and interact with. I remember exactly where I was when this wine was served to me.  Danny is one of the most fun loving people I know.  A collector of friends, and a lover of life, he knows nothing of the word selfishness and is constantly sharing what he has with other people. His wife Marita is one of my best friends.  A beautiful, soulful woman who is also just as giving.  In fact, those of us that were in the room at the time, I consider some of the most important people in my life.

Now, this was a few years ago, so I'm not sure if we were tasting the '08 or the '09.  Doesn't much matter.  All I know was that this particular wine was also the catalyst to me really starting to appreciate wine.  This wine was fruity, crispy and vibrant - much like the spring day that we were viewing out the window. And if my memory serves me, beautiful aromas of  green apples, pears, grapefruit and maybe even a hint of honey.  A wonderful tasting wine too, easily drunk on its own, crisp and refreshing.

I have a favourite wine store I like to visit.  They always have this wine in stock, and even if I'm not buying it, I always go to the Canadian wine section, find this wine, pick up the bottle, and just....remember.  I think it's awesome to have wines like this, and I hope to "collect" many more celebratory wines throughout my lifetime.  What about you?  Any wines out there that evoke a lot of great memories for you?  Would love to hear about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment