Tuesday 13 March 2012

Cheers to the Malbec!


Alamos Malbec 2010
Uco Valley, Mendoza, Argentina
$8.99  Costco Wholesale
 Ahh..the long awaited Malbec...I've drunk a lot of Malbecs in my life, and I have to say this one was most enjoyable! Although grown widely around the world, it is perhaps most well known and 25,000 hectares worth of growth, in the Argentinian region of Mendoza.  The grape was first introduced into the region in the mid 19th century, when the then governor ordered cuttings to be brought over from France.  Those cuttings that were planted produced the country's first Malbecs. Since then, Argentina has clearly usurped the French in the production of this varietal.

The Alamos Malbec (from the Catena Family Winery) is from the Mendoza region mentioned above, from a vineyard of the Uco Valley. It is the Wine of the Andes, the label paying homage to the mountains for which it is grown.  The bright sunshine during the day and the cool nights make for a balanced wine.  It's aged for 6-9 months in both French and American oak, so there may also be hints of oak either on the nose or the palate. (I didn't get a lot myself).

This is an absolutely beautiful shade of violet with lots of cherries, blackberries, and even an herbaceous hint (basil maybe?) on the nose.  The black fruits continued in my mouth with a hint of chocolate on the finish. The tannins were smooth (at 13.5% alcohol, I wouldn't expect them to knock my socks off), the acidity was medium, making it well rounded in my mouth. And really, isn't that what you want in a wine?

And look at the price!  For the price of this wine, the quality is astounding!  Might be a good idea to have a few of these on hand for when you might have unexpected guests.  I see they also have a roset Malbec.  For those turkey loving roset wine fans, might be worth a try.  At least you know your purchase won't break the bank!  And who wouldn't want to drink a wine from a region as beautiful as this? :)

http://www.alamoswines.com/


Mendoza Region
Argentina


1 comment:

  1. I'll have to look and see if we have it here. I've been getting into the Malbecs this past year...there's some good ones out there.

    ReplyDelete